Head's up, there might be affiliate links ahead!
Motivation is a tricky thing. You have to find a reason to do hard things, and it has to be a good enough reason to get you through the lows. Because the lows suck, and that’s where we all want to quit and believe me – no one escapes the lows. No one.
So if you’re looking at a weight loss goal in 2017 and you’re thinking – “oh, I just want to get healthy”. Well guess what. The first time you don’t feel like getting a workout in or choosing a salad over french fries, You’re. Going. To. Fail.
Why? Because what does “getting healthy” even mean? There’s zero emotion in that goal. There’s no visceral attachment to getting healthy. It’s arbitrary and vague.
You know what’s not vague?
- I want to get into the best shape of my life because my ass of a husband left me after 15 years of marriage and 3 kids because he found someone hotter. I will show him what hot looks like.
- I want my evil “friend” who is always putting me down to eat my sparkle dust this year. She thinks I can’t lose weight. That I’ll always be big and I should just “be okay with that”. I will show her what I’m capable of.
- I want to find a man and be in a relationship where I don’t feel like a welcome mat. Where I don’t feel like I’m just a last resort because he couldn’t find better. Where I’m a-okay being naked and feeling sexy in my own skin.
These may seem like some deviant and pretty fickle goals, but who cares? If it gets you to make the right choices, then big deal if they are shallow AF. If it works for you, then it’s the right goal.
So know what moves you and keep it front and center in your mind. Meditate on that shallow goal and let it be your mantra. No one else needs to know it’s seeded in revenge. You do you.
Meanwhile, here are a few other ideas to keep you moving in the right direction.
- Schedule your workouts in your calendar. The rest of your world can revolve around what you need for once!
- Partner up with a frienemy – that gal who’s never quite happy about your success. She will be a way better motivation than your dear sweet cheerleader friend who will love you no matter what.
- Put skin in the game. Yes, take out your wallet and pay for that goal. It will mean something and you’ll be 200% less likely to quit because no one likes to waste money.
- Make the process as easy and doable as humanly possible. At the end of my podcast I share a solution that I think is hands down the best (and most doable) way to get in shape for ANYONE in 2017. You’ll be hearing more about that in my next email, so get on my list if you’re not already.
On that note – I want to hear what holds you back. Why are you not where you want to be yet? What’s the hang-up that keeps you from moving forward?