Head's up, there might be affiliate links ahead!
I love this recipe because it’s got a little crunch, a little chew and a whole lot of goo. It’s also a great low carb option for pizza lovers.
It takes a little time, but well worth it. Sorry for the craptastic photo. I just couldn’t wait to whip out the big girl camera. I’m sure you can understand (when it comes to pizza).
[bctt tweet=”Quinoa Crusted Eggplant Pizza – A Veggie Lovers Classic #vegetarian #lowcarb” username=””]
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 1/2 c quinoa flakes not the quinoa grain - that would be weird
- 1/2 c pesto or tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of your fav Italian seasoning - I used pizza seasoning and garlic powder
- 1/2 c shredded cheese
- 1 c fresh basil ripped into little pieces
- 1/4 sun-dried tomatoes cut into little pieces
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with wax paper (or well-greased tin foil)
- crack egg into a bowl and beat until yolk is mixed
- in a large bowl or plate, mix together flour, quinoa flakes + seasoning
- cut eggplant into long slices, about 1/4 inch thick
- dredge eggplant through egg mixture then fully coat with flour mixture
- place floured eggplant slices on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown
- remove from oven, flip slices and coat with pesto sauce, then add basil and cheese
- put the slices back in the oven for another 10 - 15 minutes or until toppings are melted and gooey.