Head's up, there might be affiliate links ahead!
Curious how to make great-tasting chili without the beans?
The other night my husband had the not-so-brilliant idea to order chili half way through our 9-hour drive from Palm Springs back home to the Bay Area. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how that went.
It wasn’t pretty.
Not surprisingly, I found myself inspired to create a bean-free, paleo, low carb chili that offers that stick-to-your-ribs goodness without the unwanted aftermath.
Getting the Chewy Chili Texture Just Right
One of the best things about chili is that satisfying soft chewy texture you get from the ground meat and beans. But beans are not everyone’s friend, and they’re certainly not paleo or low carb, so instead, the riced cauliflower and chunks of carrot give this recipe that extra texture, making it a winner for dinner!
P.S. Clap for yourself, because you just snuck some extra veggies into your meal and no one will be the wiser. I guaren-freakin-tee it.
Fart-Free Chili: It’s not just for dinner anymore
Beanless chili is an awesome quick lunch option with a salad or topped with a couple of fried eggs for breakfast. You seriously can’t go wrong with a big pot of this stuff, so don’t limit it just as a dinner option. It’s the perfect meal prep dish that can last you for a week or more of lunches!
[bctt tweet=”Check it out – the best, the simplest and the healthiest beanless chili recipe ever. The perfect defense against farty husbands!” username=”thefithabit_”]
Make it Paleo & Whole 30
Use a pound of ground beef, turkey or chicken and feel free to brown the meat first, although you don’t have to. You’ll also want to skip the yogurt or cheese garnish.
Make it Vegan
I used Gardein Veggie Ground meat and it worked beautifully. No browning required as it comes pre-cooked. Top with avocado and/or Daiya cheese for a little extra zest.
No matter which way you go, feel free to dial up the flavor and spice level with a little dash of hot sauce before serving!
Slow Cooker Bean-less Chili: Low Carb, Paleo or Vegan
- No matter which way you go feel free to dial up the flavor and spice level with a little dash of hot sauce before serving! Make this chili vegan or paleo depending on the protein you choose. It can be slow-cooked in a crockpot or whipped up in 18 minutes with an instant pot - the choice is yours. Either way, it's super simple to make and the flavor is outstanding.
- 1 lb ground meat I used a 14-ounce bag of Gardein Veggie Ground meat,
- 12 ounces riced cauliflower approximate 1 lrg head of cauliflower
- 1 onion diced,
- 1 pepper diced,
- 2 tsp minced garlic or 2 finely chopped cloves,
- 3 carrots finely chopped
- 1 14 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce I used an arrabbiata sauce from Trader Joes (but any pasta sauce will do),
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Garnish with Greek yogurt shredded cheese or jalapeños
- Garnish with Greek yogurt shredded cheese or jalapeños,
- Chop onions, peppers, carrot, and garlic and add to crockpot or instant pot.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and cover.
- If using a crock pot, cook for 4 or more hours on high, or 18 minutes on high in an instant pot.
- Serve hot and top with your garnish of choice.
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and author of The Fit Habit. Here she shares simple, healthy recipes, home workout ideas and practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.