Head's up, there might be affiliate links ahead!
I just finished reading The Energy Bus based on a random Facebook recommendation. It was life changing. Not in a new info kind of way, but in a reminded perspective.
Life is energy. We are energy. Energy can take form in many ways – behaviors, relationships, things, money, food, sex – all of it is the manifestation of energy (and I use that word carefully as I’m not a fan of woo woo).
Your life, the culmination of everything you draw toward you and repeal away from yourself is energy driven. The sum total of this collection of energy dictates the overall quality of your world and how happy you are.
And somewhere in the hurried nature of life, I forgot this.
You know how you are drawn to certain people? Friends, people at work, specific bloggers, personalities etc? It’s their energy that draws you in. I think of people who I actively seek out on facebook. I read what they write – I care about what they have to say, because in some way, it makes me feel good. It’s their energy that I can sense and draw from, even via technology.
There are also people who’s feeds I hide on Facebook. I may care about them, but I manage how readily their energy is available to me (like, as little as possible is great).
The Energy Bus was a great reminder to be mindful of my own energy, and how it impacts myself and the people around me. Inspired by the ideas and tools the author provides, I’m committed to making 2015 the year of powerful, positive energy in the most authentic, truthful way I can create. Based on the theories in the book, and the knowledge I’ve drawn from my yoga training, these are the best way I know how to build positive energy and release the stuff that brings us down.
7 Ways to Cultivate Positive Energy
- Recognize that you’re in the driver’s seat. Once you take full responsibility for your actions and your life (instead of blaming others or circumstance), you give yourself the energetic power to make change.
- Focus your energy on what matters. Be clear about your priorities and don’t waste precious energy on things or people who don’t matter.
- Avoid energy vampires & naysayers. You know who they are and it’s best to avoid them or keep them at a distance. They will zap your enthusiasm and bring you down, every chance they can get.
- Practice rituals that feed and empower good energy in yourself. I’ve taken up walking for 2 or 3 miles every morning and doing yoga more regularly. Combined they’ve done a lot to help me build and sustain my positive energy.
- Eat for good energy. This is a no brainer. Processed foods drain energy. Whole foods build and support it. You know this already.
- Release internal energy blocks. There are so many ways to work on this, from enlisting the help of a therapist or spiritual leader, to taking a more DIY approach. The online resources on energy clearing are endless and span the gamete of very woo woo to very scientific. One of my favorite instructors is Gabby Bernstein as she had a very relatable style.
- Seek out the good energy of others. Occasionally I come across people who’s energy I adore. When I find them, I aim to keep them close, whether they are people I find through social media, or friends in real life. We’re all drawn to authentic positive energy. It’s contagious. So share yours and seek it out/support it in others.
One thing I don’t advocate is fabricating inauthentic feelings of excitement over things that do not excite me. Part of generating energy from the heart, is being true to oneself, and being honest about our needs, wants and desires. I’ll feed the parts of my soul that long to be feed, and starve the areas that bring me down. Focus on the good, accept the bad I cannot change, and move away from that which I can.
What’s your mantra or inspiration for 2015? What do you think about energy management? Woo woo or life altering?