Head's up, there might be affiliate links ahead!
Paleo Pumpkin Curry Low Carb, Paleo-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free
I love pumpkin curry. I love any curry. It’s the most interesting way to get your veggies in, it’s super easy to make ahead and it can be served over cauliflower rice, which in my opinion is the greatest thing ever. All hail to Trader Joes – I love you guys for all your nifty food inventions!
This is what I’d call a “fitness-inspired” curry. By that I mean it’s full of protein, fiber and water, so it’s low in calories, carbs, fat and weird stuff. It’s also not Martha Stewart level intimidating to make. You know? It’s just easy peasy, chop a few veggies before bed, toss them in the slower cooker and bam – Bob’s your uncle and he’s eating curry for breakfast.
A note about Coconut Milk in this Pumpkin Curry
I think it’s worth mentioning that the coconut milk mentioned in this recipe is the stuff that comes from a can. I adore this brand, but Trader Joes also sells a great coconut cream it if you prefer to shop there. Just don’t use regular dairy cream or coconut milk that comes in a milk carton. That’s going to make your end result watery instead of creamy.
PS – if you haven’t tried Amazon Fresh yet, I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try. I’ve taken back 3 hours of my week by outsourcing my groceries and it’s 110% worth the $15 a month fee! Plus, if you hit the link below, you’ll get $25 off your first order!
Paleo Slow Cooker Pumpkin Curry With Tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- 2 zucchinis chopped
- 2 carrots sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin purée
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and ginger; sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste
- Add garlic, carrots, zucchini, green beans and pumpkin purée.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tofu and lime juice.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes until tofu is cooked.
- Serve over cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with cilantro
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and author of The Fit Habit. Here she shares simple, healthy recipes, home workout ideas and practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.