This tuna cake recipe make the perfect quick weeknight meal idea for 1 or 2 people. Double the recipe and bring the extras for lunch the next day. It's great topped with a salad!
Tuna Cakes - the Poor Man's Crab Cake (that tastes just as good)
Ok, perhaps I'm not being fair here. Tuna cakes may not taste like crab, but they are just as good, and it's far more likely that you'll have tuna in your pantry, then fresh crab in your fridge! I made these cakes when I was dieting for a fitness competition, but don't let the calorie-friendly nature of these cakes fool you - they're really good!
What you need to make Tuna Cakes (and substitutions)
- 1 can of tuna packed in water
- coconut flour
- peanut flour (or almond will work, too)
- Old Bay Seasoning and some fresh or dried rosemary
- An egg and some egg whites. (If you don't want to use whites, you can use 3 full eggs, or go with 1/3 cup egg whites if you don't want to use yolks).
Equipment Needed? Fortunately very little.
All you need for this recipe is a good pan (I prefer cast iron), and a knife and cutting board to chop the onion. This is such a simple dish, you almost can't go wrong with it.
What to pair with Tuna Cakes
I like making them to go with a salad, but they'll go with anything, really. As for sauces, I use hot sauce, dijon mustard or tzatziki. You could also use a shrimp sauce - but be mindful of the sugar content!
The recipe makes about 6 cakes (so about 2 servings) and each serving has:
Nutrition: Cals: 230, Fat: 7g, Protein 31g, Carbs: 10g
- 1 can tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 T coconut flour
- 2 T PB2, you can use almond or coconut flour here if you don’t have PB2
- 1/4 c red onion chopped
- 1 T Old Bay seasoning
- 2 T Fresh rosemary, or dried
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c egg white
- Finely chop onion and add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix until it becomes a lumpy mash.
- Lightly grease a pan on medium heat and separate the mash into 6 patties
- Cook for about 6 - 8 minutes, then turn over and cook until browned.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 230