This vegan chicken noodle soup is a recipe both meat-eaters and vegans will love because it has that meaty texture of regular chicken soup. I think you'll like this one. It's hearty and low carb, too!
Chicken Noodle Soup Without the Chicken?
Absolutely! This recipe uses Gardein Chick'n Scallopini, but you could use any chicken-substitute. Seitan also makes a great alternative for those of you who can tolerate gluten. You could also use a tofu-based sausage as well.
What is vegan chicken made of?
That's a good question, and honestly, it varies. Some are made from soy protein isolate and others from a product called "seitan" which is basically pure gluten. Both have a good amount of protein without adding too many carbs. If you wanted to go more unprocessed, you could try jackfruit which apparently has a very meat-like texture (I've never tried it). Here's a recipe I found for vegan chicken noodle soup with jackfruit.
Can Vegans eat Noodles?
Ah, that depends. A lot of noodles are egg-based, so that's out of the question, but there are many egg-free versions out there. I opted to use Miracle Noodles because they're vegan and literally calorie free! Made from glucomannan, a type of fiber that comes from the root of the konjac plant, they literally take no time to make and they add a good texture and bulk without extra carbs. Love them!
Chickenless Broth? What is that?
I've only tried this brand of chickenless broth, but I also found this brand. The Pacific brand is so good, you'd never know it's not chicken! I can't really describe the essence of chicken broth, but if you've had it, you know what it tastes like and this vegan broth is such a good copycat. You can typically find it at Whole Foods, but you can also order it on Amazon (I recommend getting a whole bunch).
Want More Vegan Soup Ideas?
- Dairy-Free Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup With Tofu
- Roasted red pepper, carrot & ginger soup
- 1 container of Chicken Broth
- .7 lbs raw chicken (I prefer thigh meat, but use what you prefer)
- 1 zucchini
- 3 carrots
- ½ onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari, optional
- 1 package of Miracle No Calorie Noodles
- salt and pepper
- Chop veggies and cook onions, garlic and carrot in a few tablespoons of the veggie broth.
- Once translucent, add remaining veggies (except cilantro) and cook on medium heat for 15 mins, or until veggies are done (careful not to overcook!)
- Cut seitan into small bite-sized pieces and add to soup. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Drain noodles and add to soup.
- If noodles are cold, heat the soup back up to the desired temperature, then remove from heat and add fresh chopped cilantro, lemon juice, tamari and salt, and pepper to taste.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 151