This is hands down, the best egg salad recipe if you want something super easy to whip up for lunch. Add a generous dollop to your salad, some lettuce cups or just wrap it up in a low carb tortilla for the perfect breakfast taco on the go! Perfect for low carb and keto dieters and it's equivalent to one red container on the 21 Day Fix Meal plan.
Egg salad. LA style, of course.
I avoided egg salad for the first 90% of my life because I’ve been terrified of fat. It was always an off-limits food for me. Now that I’ve come to appreciate fat as my friend, I’m surprised it’s taken me this long to dive into this classic.
Why This is the BEST Egg Salad Recipe
It's the perfect meal prep idea. Easy to make, really cheap in terms of ingredient costs, rich in healthy fats and protein and very low in carbs. Perfect to add to a salad, lettuce cups or just to snack on when you need a little something to tide you over to your next meal.
I also love adding it to half an avocado!! So good.
How to serve Egg Salad (when you're low carb)
That's where the "LA-style" comes in. I created this recipe while living on the westside of LA. They don’t eat carbs there, so you have to get a little creative with the vessel in which egg salad is consumed. You can do a lettuce cup, or you can do what Jennifer Anniston apparently does, and pick the innards out of a bagel and use the “shell” to stuff your egg salad in.
They don’t call LA the mecca of creativity for nothing!
Personally, I like to stuff egg salad into a low-carb tortilla and call it a meal. It's also great over a bed of greens! Don't be afraid to drop 1/2 a cup of this stuff over a bed of arugula and have at it. It's not only high in protein and super low in carbs, it's also incredibly versatile and perfect if you're trying to lean out for your "summer bod".
What you'll need for this healthy egg salad
- 4 eggs (You can swap out two for egg whites if you want fewer calories)
- Greek yogurt (you can double up on the ingredient above if you don't have this)
- Dijon Mustard and a little hot sauce (you can opt out of the hot sauce if you want)
- Green onion for garnish
- Lettuce cups to serve it in (you can also do a low carb tortilla or just eat it straight up with a spoon)
How to make the perfect hard boiled eggs
I'm going to assume you already know how to boil an egg, but if you don't, it's real simple. Just add your eggs in a saucepan with enough water that it covers the eggs completely. Once the water comes to a boil, set a timer to cook the eggs for 5 minutes. They should come out perfectly.
Remember - the time it takes to boil the water is not counted in the cook time.
Do you eat a lot of hard boiled eggs?
If so, you may want to give this gadget a try. Everyone raves about it!
Want more simple egg recipes? Try these, next:
- Egg white muffins - low carb and simple to make
- Keto egg muffins (<-so yum)
- Sweet potato egg muffins
Whether you're trying to lose weight or not - this egg salad is a perfect summer go-to on repeat and perfect for Sunday meal prep!
If you make a recipe from this collection, share a photo on Instagram and tag me! I'd be happy to share it 🙂
- 4 hardboiled whole eggs
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard (more if you like a richer flavor)
- a dash of hot sauce (optional if you don't like a little spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with green onion
- Once eggs are cooled, peel and add to bowl. Mash into little pieces.
- Add yogurt and mustard and mix well.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Garnish with chopped green onion.
- Keep it in the fridge for a few days and use it to top salads or make it the main dish!
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1/2 cup (approx)
Amount Per Serving Calories 162Total Fat 8.4gCarbohydrates 2.9gProtein 18g
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and author of The Fit Habit. Here she shares simple, low carb recipes, quick home workout ideas and practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.