What does lemon ginger cayenne pepper water do?
Lemon water is considered to be a detox drink. I use that term loosely because the body is designed to detoxify itself through the digestion process, but this concoction can certainly help.
How it helps:
- Lemon juice provides an alkalizing effect on the body and it's also good for the liver (which is your internal detox organ). Lemons are also full of vitamin C and potassium, so that can't hurt. There's also so some research that shows the polyphenols in lemons can promote weight loss (at least, in mice).
- Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, which increases your metabolic rate. It's also known for raising the body temperature, regulates blood sugar, stimulates the circulatory system and aids digestion. Too bad it can't fold laundry.
- Ginger is great for aiding digestion, reducing that farty, bloated feeling and helps combat flu and cold symptoms.
- Turmeric is my special add. It's in there because it's a natural anti-inflammatory.
How best to drink it
The Best Time to Drink Lemon Ginger Water
Because lemon is so acidic, it can eat away at tooth enamel. For this reason, I recommend drinking it first thing in the morning, before brushing your teeth. It's also a great way to get your digestive enzymes in motion, so ideally, drink it before you eat anything.
How Long Will it Last in the Fridge?
Because this recipe calls for fresh lemon, I recommend consuming it within 5 days.
What to Try Next?
- Want more detoxifying elixirs? Try my Detox Veggie Soup. Not only is it great for reducing bloating and water retention, it's also really yummy!
Want a gentle at-home workout that will help you reduce fat and feel amazing? Try Barre Blend for free.Want to create healthier habits so you can become naturally lean? Check out my simple behavior-modification program that will help you build better habits so you can create a healthier, happier life.
- 5 cups water
- 2 lemons squeezed
- .5 tsp turmeric, of
- .25 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ounce Ginger, Peeled and cubed
- .5 tsp stevia, Optional
- mix all ingredients in a large container and store in the fridge.
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and ADHD Coach. As the founder of The Fit Habit, she shares ADHD-friendly self-care, food & fitness inspiration, along with practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.