Spring break is around the corner, so I thought I’d talk a bit about traveling healthy. Here are a few ideas to get you thinking about how you can stay on track while on the road.
- Think ahead! Planning and preparing will assure you can reach into the cooler in the back seat and grab a healthy snack instead of stopping off at Burger King in a fit of hunger.
- HBE’s (Harb Boiled Eggs) are your friends! They are like little pre-packaged protein bombs and they taste great sprinkled with a little flavor Gods seasoning.
- Olives are great finger food and are packed with healthy fats. They’re even easy to bring on a plane, as long as you drain the liquid beforehand.
- Speaking of plans, if you want to travel with liquids or semi-liquids, like yogurt, just freeze it first and let it defrost on the plane.
- Slices of pepper, carrot, raw sweet potato or jicama and guacamole – yum!
- Those little sachets of nut butter or coconut butter are great to squeeze right into your mouth! But careful with anything salty, like nuts. The salt will make you eat more than you need to.
- Quest bars or container of berries is perfect for on the go. Just be creative!
Okay, here’s a fun question - when traveling and you haven’t planned your food, what’s your favorite best-I-can-do-right-now meal? I will go for a subway sub with loads of veg, but I only get the honey oat bun because it’s one of the few that doesn’t have HFCS. Salads are obvious, but I also like the protein snack pack from Starbucks. What about you?