This simple, healthy low carb paella is one of those dishes that seems to improve overnight. Reheated leftovers make a great lunch! Spicy food-lovers should note that this is a subtle dish, not a spicy one. If you want more heat, feel free to add more spice toward the end of the cooking time.
A simple Low Carb Paella – Grain & Gluten-Free
What to do with leftovers?
Can you freeze low carb Paella?
Sure can. It will last up to 3 months in the freezer and a good 5 to 7 days in your refrigerator. However, you might find that this recipe doesn’t make it to the freezer because it’s so damn good. It never seems to last in my house!
Serves 4 | 176 cals | 6.9g fat | 17g carbs | 3.3g fiber | 10.9g protein
- 1 onion, chopped
- * 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron, crushed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 12 medium sized raw shrimp
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sauté onion and garlic in a deep non-stick skillet with the olive oil until soft.
- Add the cauliflower rice and saffron and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add paprika, cumin, cayenne, tomatoes, peppers, and 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low, and cook covered for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, check to see if more broth is needed. If it looks dry, add the remaining vegetable broth.
- Add the shrimp and cook for another 7 minutes, until cauliflower is done.
- Remove the cover, stir in the peas, and cook uncovered until peas are warm and all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add salt at the table, if necessary.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 6 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 117
Want more Grain-free Recipes? Try these!