Who wants a Mezcal Margarita? You do, (of course) and I've got the perfect recipe for you! All you low carb lovers are going to love it because it’s not loaded with sugar. Read on to learn how to make it.
First, what the heck is Mezcal?
Think tequila, only smokier. It’s got a much more interesting flavor, which is why I think this cocktail is the perfect sugar-free option. It also hails from an agave plant (just like tequila), but it’s processed a little differently, which gives it that smokey aftertaste.
The other thing to note about mezcal is that it’s a little pricier than tequila, so rather than making it for your guests, you might want to hoard this option just for yourself. I’m so bad.
Now about this Mezcal Margarita Recipe
I am a fan of margaritas. They’re great. But you know what’s better?
Grand Mariner makes everything taste elevated and this recipe is no exception. However, if you don’t have Grand Marnier on hand, a standard orange liquor will do. I won’t judge.
How to make a Mezcal Margarita
Ingredients for this recipe are few -
- mezcal (obviously)
- Grand Marnier (or orange liquor or triple sec)
- Lime juice (fresh or bottled)
- Soda water (flavored if you prefer - but ensure it's sugar free)
- (optional) - a very small amount of orange juice or stevia if you can't tolerate bitter flavors & salt for the rim if you like your margs salty
Rim your cocktail glass with a good quality salt. If you’re not a fan of a salted rim, skip this step.
Mix your mezcal, Grand Marnier and the juice of one lime (about 1.5 tablespoons) in a cocktail shaker with some ice.
Now give it a little taste and see how you like the bitterness. If it’s perfect for you, pour it into a glass and hit the pool. If it’s too bitter, add a dash of sparkling water (no more than a tablespoon at a time) to dilute the bite.
Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Are You Following The 21 Day Fix Plan?
- One serving of mezcal margarita is 1 yellow container.
Want more Sugar Free Cocktail Ideas?
- 1 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce grand marnier
- 1.5 tablespoons lime juice
- Soda water to taste
- Garnish with a wedge of lime
- Salt for rim (optional)
- Rim your cocktail glass with a good quality salt. If you’re not a fan of a salted rim, skip this step.
- Mix your mezcal, Grand Marnier and the juice of one lime (about 1.5 tablespoons) in a cocktail shaker with some ice.
- Now give it a little taste and see how you like the bitterness. If it’s perfect for you, pour it into a glass and hit the pool. If it’s too bitter, add a dash of sparkling water (no more than a tablespoon) to dilute the bite.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
- If you don't have Grand Marnier handy, you can use orange liquor instead or triple sec instead.
- Prefer a sweeter flavor? Add a very small dash of liquid stevia. Just enough to take the bitterness away, but not too much too make it overly sweet.
- Like a fruitier drink? Add a dash of grapefruit or orange juice to naturally sweeten.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 glass
Amount Per Serving Calories 150Total Fat 0gCarbohydrates 8.3gProtein .1g