This slow cooker pumpkin curry is vegan, dairy-free, sugar-Free, & gluten-free. It's also damn delicious and super simple to make.
This is is a super healthy version of curry because it’s full of plant-based protein, fiber and water, so it’s low in calories, carbs, fat and weird stuff. It’s also not Martha Stewart-level intimidating to make. It’s just easy peasy, chop a few veggies before bed, toss them in the slower cooker and bam - Bob’s your uncle and he’s eating curry for breakfast.
Can you use real pumpkin instead of canned?
Of course! I personally find that it's very laborious to skin and chop a real pumpkin, but if you have the time and inclination, go for it! If you're using canned pumpkin, just be sure not to use pumpkin pie mix, which is pre-sweetened. That's NOT what you want.
Can you swap out pumpkin for other squash varieties?
Sure can. I think butternut squash would work very well. Also, feel free to change up all the other veggies in the recipe. It's so versatile that you can work with what you have in the fridge.
Make sure to use Real Coconut Milk in this Pumpkin Curry
I think it's worth mentioning that the coconut milk mentioned in this recipe is the stuff that comes from a can. I adore this brand, but Trader Joes also sells a great coconut cream it if you prefer to shop there. Just don't use regular dairy cream or coconut milk that comes in a milk carton. That's going to make your end result watery instead of creamy.
Can I make Slow Cooker Pumpkin Curry in an Instant Pot?
I haven't tried it in an Instant Pot, but it's totally doable. I'd recommend cooking for 20 to 25 minutes and add the coconut milk at the end as I hear people have encountered issues with it.
PS - if you haven't tried Amazon Fresh yet, I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try. I've taken back 3 hours of my week by outsourcing my groceries and it's 110% worth the $15 a month fee! Plus, if you hit the link below, you'll get $25 off your first order!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin purée
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and ginger; sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste
- Add garlic, carrots, zucchini, green beans and pumpkin purée.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tofu and lime juice.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes until tofu is cooked.
- Add coconut milk and stir until combined.
- Serve over cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with cilantro