The Weight Loss Basics vs Weight Loss Hacks
Lately, I’ve been deeply embroiled in the new nutrition program my company launched recently. The program itself is pretty good but the closed group lectures we’re getting from the creator of the program are so freaking GOOD, it makes the experience that much better. I think the primary difference is that the course itself is just a review of the basics whereas the Facebook lectures dive into specific hacks that I think are pretty clever and really applicable to everyday life. That's where the true value lies.
Making Weight Loss Fun Again
Before I get to my list, I want to put an idea in your head about making weight loss fun. I recall years ago, having great success with Weight Watchers because I did it with a gal from work and she was really into it. She constantly came up with creative ways to eat lots of food while for very few points. It was a game to her and her enthusiasm was contagious. Watching these tutorials for the nutrition program reminds me of that gal and how getting creative about food choices can actually be fun (believe it or not).
Side Note: I also think weight loss can be a pretty lonely and isolating endeavor, so if you can find a buddy to do it with, it's going to make the world of difference, particularly if you're in anyway competitive.
So in the spirit of “good times”, here’s some fat loss hacks I’m absolutely loving lately.
- The Skinny Taste Greek Yogurt Bagel - Warning, this does have some carbs, but I’ll be playing around with the recipe to make it more low-carb friendly.
- This 60-second protein microwave English Muffin is rocking my world lately. I cut it into 3 slices to extend the eating pleasure and load it up with runny eggs or avocado. Seriously delicious guys. You must try them!
- Poop Like a Champion Breakfast Cereal. Okay, beyond the great name and hilarious marketing copy, this cereal is great to mix into yogurt or smoothie bowls for a little bit of crunch. It’s also got 25g of carbs per serving, but it also has 16g of fiber, making it a total of 9g of carbs per serving. It’s got a “butt-load” of fiber so you can “do-do” better with your bathroom habits. #idielaughing. Incidentally, there’s also a cereal called Crapola but I have yet to try it.
- Big Ass Water Bottles (or, #BAWB) - Drinking water (lots of it) is one of the best weight loss hacks there is. It will keep your satiety levels up and send your poop cereal out the other end faster than you can say, Indiana Jones. Get yourself a big 32-ounce bottle and set a rule to fill it up at least 3 times a day. Incidentally, this also helps you stand and move more as you’ll be peeing every 43 seconds, so all the better. I love these fruit infuser bottles as they make water drinking a little more interesting.
- Start your day with mostly proteins and fats. Ditch the carbs first thing in the morning as it kicks your insulin roller coaster into high gear which can set you up for poor food choices for the rest of the day. If you use my 60-second English Muffin recipe (above) with a few more eggs or avocado, I bet you’ll feel full for a good 4 hours at least!
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and ADHD Coach. As the founder of The Fit Habit, she shares ADHD-friendly self-care, food & fitness inspiration, along with practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.