This cream of mushroom soup stands out because of its rich smoky flavor. It’s simple to make, done in about 20 minutes from start to finish and it’s great for special diets because it’s also low carb, vegan, paleo and even Keto!
What's the Smoky Twist?
I used Wright's Liquid Smoke to flavor the soup. Just a touch is all you need - about a 1/4 teaspoon. However, if you're on a super strict paleo diet, or you don't have it in your pantry, just omit it. It's still an awesome soup!
What you’ll need to make Paleo cream of mushroom soup
Anything listed with a * beside it is optional.
- Your favorite cooking oil (I like olive)
- Onion & garlic
- A container of mushrooms (250g)
- Seasoning - I used garlic powder and thyme, but sage, basil or oregano would also work great!
- *Wright’s Liquid Smoke - this is what gives the soup it’s smoky flavor. If you don’t have it or don’t care for smoky flavors, just omit it.
- *Arrowroot flour (you can also use whatever flour you have on hand or no flour at all, but arrowroot is ideal for special diets)
- Veggie or chicken stock
- Coconut milk (use light or full fat, cook’s choice)
- *Something pretty for garnish
You don’t need any special equipment for this recipe. Just a simple soup pot (and a stove, of course).
How to thicken Cream of Mushroom Soup
There’s two things that add to the thickness of mushroom soup - the fat and flour. Flour thickens the broth and the more flour you use, the thicker it is. Pro Tip: When adding flour, scoop about a cup of your broth into a separate cup and add the flour to that. Whisk it well before adding back to your soup pot or else you'll end up with little white spots of flour as you see above.
The other thing that will add to the thickness of soup is the fat that you use. Full fat coconut cream or heavy cream will provide a thicker texture than light coconut milk, but it’s also added calories.
Will the soup thicken as it cooks?
Not this recipe. Some soups thicken as they cook because the ingredients disintegrate into mush as they cook, like potatoes, beans or red lentils. Mushrooms are pretty hardy and therefore won’t turn to mush as you cook them.
How do I make this soup Keto?
Easy! Just ditch the arrowroot flour and use coconut cream instead of coconut milk to thicken it up.
What to have with cream of mushroom soup?
Well, thick crusty bread is always nice, but if you’re on a special low carb or gluten free diet, then why not toss some pulled chicken or pork in the soup to make it a complete meal? You can also add extra veggies to this recipe for an added punch of fiber and nutrients!
Can you freeze Paleo Cream of Mushroom Soup?
You sure can! In the freezer it will last for 3 months. In the fridge, 5 to 7 days is best.
What can you make with cream of mushroom soup?
Growing up, you probably remember your mom using cream of mushroom soup to make casseroles and rice dishes. You can absolutely do that with this recipe! Are you paleo? Try this Paleo Cream of Mushroom Casserole. Not Paleo? This Chicken & Mushroom Casserole from The Lemon Bowl is a quick and easy option.
Want more Paleo Soup Ideas?
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 250 g of fresh mushrooms I used baby Bella, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp Wrights Liquid Smoke
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 4 cups chicken or veggie stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk from the can
- Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Wash mushrooms
- Chop onions and add to large pot with the oil on medium heat.
- Stir occasionally for about 2 or 3 mins until onions are translucent
- Add garlic, thyme and mushrooms and cook while stirring for another two minutes.
- Add the soup stock and let it heat up. Once warm, scoop out a cup of the broth into a mug or bowl and add the arrowroot flour to it. Whisk until fully mixed in, then return to the soup.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off heat.
- Add coconut milk, Wrights Liquid Smoke and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Serving: 1Bowl | Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1.5g | Fat: 7.5g | Fiber: 1.2g
Nutrition InformationYield 4 bowls Serving Size 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 123Total Fat 7gCarbohydrates 12gNet Carbohydrates 11gFiber 1.2gProtein 1.5g