Most people that look at my life think I’m a total health nut. They think I’m not normal because I don’t eat bread or because I workout every day. They’d be mostly wrong though (okay, except maybe with the whole “normal” thing…)
I’m not a health and fitness freak. Not even close.
Truth is, I just know exactly how much I can get away with in terms of indulgence, and still look good in a pair of skinny jeans (at the ripe old age of 46).
And you know what? That ratio is about 20% wine and cheese (which I love and won’t ever give up) and 80% healthy stuff like morning runs and kale salads. But the key to this being totally doable and never a problem for me to sustain is that I like the 80% part (almost) as much as I like wine and cheese!
I’ve built my life so that the workouts I do, give me the right amount of energy and happiness while not draining my mojo (which is why I NEVER workout in a gym) #DreamKiller.
Here’s the (very cliche) philosophy that seems to work really well for me - take an 80/20 approach to life. Give yourself that 20% room to enjoy your life and REALLY indulge, but do it consciously. Totally enjoy it. Be present with it. Really be there in that moment. Set yourself up with the other 80% to be routine, pleasant or at least neutral and definitely automated. Kinda like brushing your teeth.
I fully believe that you HAVE to enjoy your life and all the rosé moments that come with it, even if you have health and fitness goals you’re trying to attain as well. There’s room for all of it, as long as you know exactly what works for you!
Why are balance and focus so important?
Because this journey to a healthier, stronger, more amazing you, never ends. It’s not a deadline that once you’ve achieved a certain body weight you can let it go. It has to be a part of your daily existence until you no longer exist. So make it enjoyable. Make it sustainable so that you never WANT to give it up.
You can’t put your health on a deadline. You can’t have a goal that’s so rigid that if you don’t achieve it in a certain timeline that you’re just going to give it up and let yourself go.
Living well doesn’t work that way!
So how can you maintain focus and balance for yourself? Here are a few things that work for me. If you want the full list, you’re going to have to listen to the podcast (while you workout preferably! xo)
- Find things you LIKE to do. Don’t “white knuckle” your way through workouts you hate or foods you don’t enjoy.
- Ask yourself how you can make this experience more enjoyable and fun
- Find people who inspire you to move forward when things get hard (because they will!)
To be continued on the podcast….
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and ADHD Coach. As the founder of The Fit Habit, she shares ADHD-friendly self-care, food & fitness inspiration, along with practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.
Leave a Reply