I love this Quinoa Crusted Eggplant Pizza recipe because it’s got a little crunch, a little chew and a whole lot of goo. It’s also a great low carb option for pizza lovers.
It takes a little time, but well worth it. Sorry for the craptastic photo. I just couldn't wait to whip out the big girl camera. I'm sure you can understand (when it comes to pizza).
What's the difference between quinoa and quinoa flakes?
Essentially nothing. The flakes are simply rolled quinoa that's been crushed down to a finer substance in order to make it cook faster. If you don't have quinoa flakes, just skip that ingredient and move along with the almond flour crust. It won't have quite the same crunch, but it will still be good. I wouldn't recommend just using raw quinoa as I'm not sure it would work out well.
Where can you find quinoa flakes?
Most grocery stores should have them in the grain section (even though quinoa is NOT a grain). It should be right beside the dried quinoa. If you can't find it in the store, try this brand on Amazon.
Want more recipes like Quinoa-crusted Eggplant pizza? Try these:
- Spaghetti squash pizza casserole
- Roasted delicata squash with a parmesan crust
- Eggplant & tomato stew - Low Carb
- Salmon & Leek Quiche - paleo, high protein, low carb
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 1/2 c quinoa flakes, not the quinoa grain - that would be weird
- 1/2 c pesto or tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of your fav Italian seasoning - I used pizza seasoning and garlic powder
- 1/2 c shredded cheese
- 1 c fresh basil, ripped into little pieces
- 1/4 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into little pieces
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with wax paper (or well-greased tin foil)
- crack egg into a bowl and beat until yolk is mixed
- in a large bowl or plate, mix together flour, quinoa flakes + seasoning
- cut eggplant into long slices, about 1/4 inch thick
- dredge eggplant through egg mixture then fully coat with flour mixture
- place floured eggplant slices on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown
- remove from oven, flip slices and coat with pesto sauce, then add basil and cheese
- put the slices back in the oven for another 10 - 15 minutes or until toppings are melted and gooey.