This spaghetti squash pizza casserole is perfect mid-week make-ahead meal that only gets better after it's aged a few days (or not).
The Many Wonders of Spaghetti Squash
I'm not sure when I first discovered spaghetti squash, but we've been having a love affair ever since. I think the best thing about this tasty vegetable is that it has a nice texture, but it doesn't have a strong flavor. It just takes on the flavor of whatever you're making with it. Unless you really want to bring out the butteriness of its natural flavor. In that case, just drizzle it with olive oil and a sprinkle with fine salt. It's really quite amazing.
But I like spaghetti squash mixed in with other ingredients and this pizza casserole might be the best example of that yet. The sauce and cheese give it that pizza-esque flavor without the calories. Sure, it's no pizza, but it's not bad as a healthy runner up.
How to speed up the cooking time on this recipe
I recently learned that you can microwave a spaghetti squash. Did you know that? I didn't, and I love this stuff. All you have to do is cut it length-wise and put it face down in a microwave bowl and nuke it. The larger it is, the longer it will take, but you can cook half a medium-sized squash in about 8 minutes or so. Genius. Once cooked, leave each side to cool before scooping out the insides (it gets really hot!).
Make Spaghetti Squash Pizza Casserole Vegan or Vegetarian
This is one of those dishes that's super easy to make vegan or vegetarian. You can use a pre-made faux ground meat mixture (I really like this brand) or just toss a brick of tempeh in the food processor and grind down to a crumbly texture. I try to opt for this whenever possible as it's a little less processed, but if I'm being honest, the faux-meat tastes more real.... if that makes any sense. You can also opt for vegan cheese. I'm a big fan of Daiya brand. If you're a fan of gooey melted goodness, you'll love it as it melts better than real cheese.
Casseroles are perfect for meal prep and this dish is ideal for making ahead. You can keep in the fridge until you're ready to bake it, or make it up and use it for a few lunches throughout the week! Clearly, my husband loves it because I made it last night, and less than 24 hours later, it exists no longer. Thanks, Babe.
Make the Casserole Ahead of Time
The best thing about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time. So, if you're a fan of Sunday meal prep, add this to your rotation this week and freeze it if you need to, but it's best just kept in the fridge and then reheated when you're ready to go. You can reheat in the microwave, but I would recommend putting it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes. It will make the casserole taste double-baked and extra delicious.
Want more recipes like the Spaghetti Squash Pizza Casserole? Try these:
- Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower Casserole (low carb)
- Grain-Free Coconut Cauliflower Risotto and Shrimp
- Greek spaghetti squash casserole
- 1 whole lg spaghetti squash
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, separated
- 1.5 cups ground beef, I used veggie ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 420 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half length-wise, scoop out the seeds and then place face down in a baking dish. Microwave on high for 10 to 12 minutes until squash is soft to the touch and can be easily fluffed with a fork. If you don't have a microwave, you can roast it face-down for 25 mins.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let cool (but leave the oven on!)
- Once cooled, remove squash from skin (it comes out like thin noodles) and put into a greased casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, toss onion and ground meat in a pan until brown.
- Add spaghetti sauce and mix well.
- Mix egg whites and 1/4 cup shredded cheese and add to spaghetti squash (mix in the casserole dish)
- Then add sauce to squash and mix well
- Once fully combined, add the remaining 1/4 of cheese to the top of the dish and put back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Feel free to mix up the ingredients, try different cheeses, meats and seasoning. It's a very versatile recipe, so use what you have.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 6 People
Amount Per Serving Calories 147Total Fat 5gCarbohydrates 15.8gFiber 4.3gProtein 12g