Head's up, there might be affiliate links ahead!
It’s going to be around 90 degrees again in LA next week. It was last week too, but for a hot second it jumped down to 65 (and we all ran in doors and wore puffy coats for 72 hours), and now it’s getting hot again.
I’m not a super fan of LA, but I’ll take this weather over my home town – the tundra’s of Toronto -any day.
So what do people eat when it get’s real hot outside?
Egg salad. LA style, of course.
I haven’t made egg salad perhaps ever. For the first 90% of my life, I’ve been terrified of fat, so it was always an off-limits food for me. Now that I’ve come to appreciate fat as my friend, I’m surprised it’s taken me this long to dive into this classic from my youth.
And the LA style bit? We don’t eat carbs down here, so you have to get a little creative with the vessel in which egg salad is consumed.
You can do a lettuce cup type thing, or you can do what Jennifer Anniston apparently does, and pick the innards out of a bagel and use the “shell” as a fake egg salad sandwich. They don’t call this place the mecca of creativity for nothin!
- 3 hardboiled whole eggs & 3 egg whites (or any combination of the two)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 c chopped green onion
- 1/2 mashed avocado
- 1/4 c cottage cheese
- 1/4 c greek yogurt (or you can skip the cottage cheese and do all yogurt)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp tumeric (optional – use dill here if you like instead)
- 1/4 tsp paprika (optional)
- Once eggs are cooled, peel and add to bowl. Mash into little pieces.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Season at the end.
Keep it in the fridge for a few days and use it to top salads or make it the main dish!