Even if greens are not your jam, I urge you to give this easy Pad Thai kale salad a whirl. It’s simple, made in less than 15 minutes, and so good!
But first, you don’t have to use kale
If you absolutely hate kale, I’m not going to force it on you. You can use this Pad Thai-inspired dressing with any kind of veggie - from fresh salads to zoodles, it will go well with anything. It’s also perfect as a dipping sauce for grilled shrimp or chicken satay skewers, so ditch the kale if you must, but make this dressing for sure!
Can you eat raw kale in a salad?
Of course, but the best way to serve this hearty green is by massaging it first. Simply wash and dry your kale, remove the spines and add it to a large bowl. From there, drizzle a very small portion of olive oil (about a tsp) on the leaves, and then get your hands in there and start rubbing it in.
Immediately, you should notice that the leaves turn a bright, amazing green. This also makes them more palatable to eat as well.
While you have your hands in there, rip the leaves up into small, bite sized pieces for your salad and you’re good to go.
How to make the Pad Thai Dressing
Okay, this is super simple, so don’t blink or you might miss it. Here’s your Pad Thai Sauce Ingredients:
- Peanut butter (I recommend using creamy if you have it, but crunchy will work too)
- Tamari or Soy Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Lime or lemon juice
- Fish sauce - you can leave this out if you’re vegetarian or just have no idea what it is.
- Salt & a little stevia (you can use sugar if you don’t have stevia - or no sweetener at all if you prefer)
Put 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in a small bowl. If it’s hard from being in the fridge, you can microwave it for a few seconds.
Add the remaining sauce ingredients, except the stevia (I like to add that last in small doses so I don’t over sweeten)
Mix well and serve over your salad. That’s it!
Hungry for more? Try these, next.
- One serving of Pad Thai Kale Salad (approximately 1 cup) is one greens & 1 orange container.
- 2 cups chopped kale (I like dinosaur kale the best)
- 5 sweet peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
Pad Thai Dressing
- 2 TBSP Peanut butter
- 1 TBSP Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1/2 TBSP Fish Sauce
- 1/2 TBSP Lime Juice
- 1/2 TSP Rice Vinegar
- 1 TSP Minced Garlic
- 1 TSP Minced Ginger
- 1 sachet stevia (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- For the dressing, combine all liquid ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Use the stevia sparingly and feel free to omit if you prefer not to sweeten.
- For the salad, chop veggies as you like them and place them in 2 bowls. Pour on the dressing and mix well.
- Garnish with peanuts and serve.
Want to cut the fat calories?
Consider swapping out the peanut butter for PB2. This will give you a similar flavor profile, but a fraction of the overall calories.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 176Total Fat 12.1gCarbohydrates 9.3gNet Carbohydrates 6.1gFiber 3.2gProtein 7g