P90X3 is the 3rd edition of the P90X series (aka Power 90 Days Extreme). From the first version, I was hooked on this workout program. To say it changed by life is an understatement. Not just because I got great results from lifting weights, but it also inspired me to try fitness competing.
That was back in 2012, and since then, I’ve been a P90X fan for life.
What’s different about P90X3 (compared to the first two programs)?
The P90X3 workouts are much shorter. Just like P90X and P90X2, it still offers a diversity of workouts, creative choreography and motivational coaching, however, each workout is only 30 minutes long. That why P90X3 is my absolute favorite… because who has time for a 60 minute workout every day? Not me.
Who is P90X3 designed for? Is it a Beginner workout?
Building on the feedback from the first 2 versions of the program, Beachbody Super Trainer Tony Horton was able to refine the program (based on feedback from the first two iterations) to make it as efficient as possible, but it’s still not easy. If you’re new to lifting weights, or working out in general, this would not be the program I’d recommend out of the gate.
There are other Beachbody programs that are perfect for beginner level fitness enthusiasts. However, there is also a P90X3 hybrid workout calendar that’s blended with PiYo if you want a less aggressive workout schedule to start out.
I’d say this program is best suited for an intermediate or advanced fitness level. In fact, there are four different workout schedules within the program ranging from the PiYo Hybrid I mentioned above that will deliver different results based on your goals:
- Original/Classic Version – This is the base version that you should start with.
- Lean – This is ideal for cardio addicts that don’t want to prioritize muscle development. I don’t advocate this path for women as we need to build more muscle (see my before and after pic for proof). But if you don’t enjoy weight lifting, then start with this version.
- Mass – The opposite of the “Lean” version, this one is for the dudes who want to bulk.
- Doubles – Ugh, 2 workouts a day, 7 days per week. If you’re insane, and love to workout all.the.time. Go for this plan (and let me know how it goes).
Keep in mind, you go through all the same workouts no matter which P90X schedule you choose, but it’s just that certain workouts are prioritized for custom results.
Now let’s dive into What the P90X3 Workouts Are!
There are 21 different workouts in this 90 day program. They’re all capped at 30 minutes, and they’re designed so that you’re working out 6 days per week.
Note - if that’s too much for you, just take the program at your own pace. You can still get great results working out 3 to 4 times per week.
- Total Synergistics - This is a full-body resistance workout with compound movements that build strength, burn fat and triggers metabolic improvement.
- Agility X - Also a full-body workout that focuses on cardio, flexibility and balance designed to improve your fitness level fast!
- The Challenge - OMG, this is a push/pull workout based solely on pull ups and pushups. It’s hard AF, but if you want upper body strength and gorgeously shaped arms - this will do it.
- X3 Yoga - Believe or not, Tony Horton is one of the best yoga instructors I know of. I have been teaching and practicing yoga for over 15 years now and he still gives me the best workout and yoga buzz of any instructor I’ve encountered. Never miss his yoga classes!
- CVX - A cardio class with a full body burn. It’s fun and quick.
- The Warrior - this is a full-body workout that requires no equipment, so perfect if you’re traveling. It’s still very intense and provides both upper and lower body circuits that will challenge you!
- Isometrics - Isometric basically means “holding” a muscle contraction. I LOVE this workout because it’s both focused and challenging and perfect for developing a strong core.
- Dynamix - a quick, 30 minute flexibility and joint focused workout. These kind of workouts keep you safe from injury while still building on your core fitness level.
- Accelerator - Probably one of my favorite workouts, it’s a full body cardio, fat-burning class that’s fun!
- Pilates - one of the great things about P90X workout programs is that they are so comprehensive. If you’re going to get fit - you need a strong, stable and lean core. Pilates is where you’ll get that.
- Incinerator - Another cardio class that’s design to push your limits while engaging large muscle groups that burn the most fat in the least amount of time.
- Triometrics - a play on words, but this is essentially a plyometrics class. Lots of jumping for maximum cardio burn, but there is a modifier if you don’t like to jump.
- MMX - A mixed martial arts-inspired cardio class
- Eccentric Upper and Lower / Concentric Upper and Lower- These are two different weight lifting classes designed to build/tone muscles.
- Decelerator - a cardio + strength class with a twist!
- Ab Ripper - a separate Ab class that’s only 15 minutes long. If I’m being completely honest, I typically skipped this class.
You can access the entire P90X3 schedule right here.
What equipment is needed?
The beauty about this equipment is that once you have it, you can use it for ALL Beachbody programs, which generally require the same thing:
- A light, medium and heavy set of weights
- Workout bands or a pull up bar (honestly, unless you’re pretty strong, you don’t need the pull up bar as it’s really hard to pull your own body weight).
- A yoga mat (for the yoga and isometric classes)
P90X3 results (Before & After)
The first time I went through P90X, was during my own weight loss journey. It was the first time I had ever completed an actual workout program and prior to starting P90X, I had never picked up weights before.
Here’s a few before and afters from folks that have gone through the program.
What kid of results can you expect from P90X3?
From a fitness standpoint, you can expect to feel stronger, be able to lift heavier weights and also improve your flexibility. You'll have more energy and personally, I found myself feeling calmer and more grounded (thank you, yoga). You'll sleep better, too.
Externally, you get a lot leaner. In addition to all the strength training you'll be doing, there's also a good amount of cardio, so expect to burn fat as you tone. On average, if you follow the 2B Mindset or Ultimate Portion Fix meal plans that come with the program, then it would not be out of the question to lose up to 30 pounds over the course of 90 days.
Eating a clean, healthy diet of fruits, veggies, proteins and healthy fats is what's going to give you the most impactful results. It will also help you feel amazing, too. I'm not saying there's no room for treats in this program.. there is. But if you're eating a predominantly crappy diet, I can assure you, you might gain muscle, but you will not lose fat with P90X3 (or any workout program).
Where can you buy P90X3?
P90X3 (and the two other P90X editions) are all exclusively on Beachbody on Demand. Gone are the days of buying used DVD sets on Ebay. No one has disc drives anymore! Now everything streams from an app where you can access it on your phone, iPad or computer. If you have a smart TV, you can get it there, too.
You can buy P90X3 without supplements, but I recommend you get the bundle package with the pre- and post workout. The pre-workout is a natural, plant-based energizing drink that will help you push through the workout and get the best results. The post workout will help with recovery, muscle development and repair.
There’s also an option to get P90X3 with Shakeology, but for this program, I think the performance bundle is the best way to go.
Got questions on the program? Leave them below. I’m happy to help out.
Final words on P90X3
I think it’s one of the most comprehensive workout programs that you can get without hiring a personal trainer. Nowhere else will you get everything from weight training to yoga in one, detailed plan. The design is exceptional (I say that as a certified personal trainer) and as I mentioned before, even the yoga is exceptional.
Try it. You have nothing to lose but some extra pounds. There’s also a 30-day money back guarantee if you don’t love it (but you will).
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and author of The Fit Habit. Here she shares simple, low carb recipes, quick home workout ideas and practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.