It’s a little known fact that you can cook spaghetti squash in the microwave. I had been roasting in the oven for YEARS before I realized this shortcut. In this video I'll show you how how easy it is!
Is Spaghetti squash healthy and low carb?
At about 40 calories per cup (cooked) and 6 net carbs, yes - it’s low carb, low calorie and super healthy. The texture is so fantastic that it’s almost as versatile as cauliflower. I cook a big one on Sundays and use it all week for my breakfast (with 3 fried eggs) at lunch (drizzled with olive oil and sea salt) and dinner (with pasta sauce and some ground protein).
How to spaghetti squash in the microwave
- Cut it lengthwise. Cut the squash from root to end rather than through the middle. This makes it faster to cook.
- Clean out the insides. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and guts. You can also do this once it's cooked, but it's easier when it's raw.
- Place it cut-side down in the microwave (one side at a time!). You can put it in a casserole dish for this step or just place it right in your microwave on the central plate.
- Set the microwave for 6 minutes.
- Check it by squishing the exterior. Is it softening?
- Check the consistency with a fork if it doesn’t flake into strands easily, cook for another 2 mins (repeat as needed).
- If you think it's getting close to done, flip it over to flake with a fork.
Helpful Tips on Microwaving Spaghetti Squash
- How to know when a spaghetti squash is ready? It flakes easily into strands.
- Can you eat spaghetti squash raw? You can, but I wouldn't imagine that it would taste very good.
- Is spaghetti squash healthy? Yes! Only 40 calories per cup and 6 net grams of carbs.
What NOT to do when microwaving Spaghetti Squash
Please don't put a whole, uncut and unpierced spaghetti squash in the microwave as it will explode from pressure and potentially destroy your device (or make a very large mess).
That is literally it!
How to microwave spaghetti squash in the microwave without cutting it
I wouldn’t recommend this practice, but if it’s too hard to cut when it’s raw, you can stab it with a knife a few times or poke with a fork (be careful) and then microwave it for a few minutes until it starts to soften, then try cutting it again. If you watch my video, you’ll see how I work with a hard-to-cut spaghetti squash. It’s not supposed to end up on the floor, however 🙂
How long will Spaghetti squash last?
An uncooked spaghetti squash will last in your pantry for weeks. There's no need to refrigerate it. Once cooked, I store my spaghetti squash in the fridge for up to 5 days, but it never lasts that long.
Can you freeze spaghetti squash?
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight freezer bag, but I think it’s best enjoyed fresh.