I’m about to kick off my second round of 80 Day Obsession, and it just occurred to me that I never did a proper review of my first experience with the workout - so here it is! This review of 80 Day Obsession will cover what to expect, before and afters and a recommendation of who I think it’s best suited for.
What is 80 Day Obsession?
It’s a 13-week strength and cardio focused program that targets abs and glutes (along with everything else). It also includes a timed-nutrition eating plan that’s designed to give you the best possible results.
Is this a beginner program?
Nope! While it’s not over-the-top-I-can’t-do-this hard, it’s not meant for the newbie. It’s designed for the person who has some fitness under their belt and now wants to take it to the next level. So, intermediate to advanced exercisers will appreciate it most.
Also, the meal plan is designed for folks who really want to dial in on their eating to get results. It’s not for someone who is at the start of their nutrition journey. If that’s you - I recommend 2B Mindset (if you want a nutrition only program) and 21 Day Fix (not the extreme version) if you want a fitness program.
Who is this workout best for?
Anyone who really wants to level up their current fitness level, improve shape of their glutes, firm abs and tone arms. You have to be ok with lifting weights, because that's what the program centers around.
80 Day Obsession Results & Review - What I really think
Back in 2012, I did a bikini competition and hired an online coach to help me get amazing results. I paid that gal over $100 per month for 2 checkins a month, a meal plan and a workout. I think that 80 Day Obsession is 4x better than the program I received from my professional coach at a fraction of the cost.
Bottom line, if you’re someone who wants to look like a fit person, but you don’t want to hire a private coach - this is for you. Remember though, you also have to put in the work.
- I love the diversity of workouts. Every single day there is a new workout, so you’re never watching the same program twice. That’s 80 different workouts in one program. Amazing.
- The que’s that she gives are SO good. I’m always adjusting my technique as I listen to Autumn Calabrese talk. She’s a really good instructor.
- I love that I can watch and listen to the team go through the moves. I hate following workout plans on paper where you have to figure out what each move is. I’m also at an age where I have to put on my glasses to read anything, so it slows me down! This program keeps you moving along - no glasses required
- The workouts are longer than 21 Day Fix (which is my all-time favorite workout). They range about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Sometimes I split the workout up (do half in the morning, half at night) or I also find you can fast forward through the talking breaks if you want to finish faster.
- The meal plan (as I mentioned) isn’t for newbs. You have to be intentional about meal prep and planning, but you know what - I actually learned to love it.
- 80 days is a long time to commit to one workout. Thank goodness every workout is different, or I’d probably get pretty bored.
What equipment you’ll need for this workout
I wrote a whole post about the equipment required for 80 Day Obsession here, but in short, you’ll need a set of light, medium and heavy weights, some resistance bands and strength sliders.
The 80 Day Obsession Meal Plan
This meal plan is specifically designed for lean muscle development. Not bulk, but cut. You can see it in some of the before and after results I'm sharing below (including my own). Beachbody has done a great job laying out the meal plan and food list for 80 Day Obsession so that it's understandable and clear. That said, it still takes some preparation to follow it.
Overall, it's a great meal plan. However, just as I mentioned with the 21 Day Fix Meal Plan, I recommend you go up one level from whatever plan it recommends you follow. The calories just aren't enough for the volume of workouts you're doing. That's my opinion.
What you get when you buy the program
Aside from the 80 different workouts, here’s what you can expect to receive:
- 2 active recovery workouts (I skipped these and did yoga instead)
- A getting started guide that will walk you through everything
- The nutrition plan that I mentioned
- A workout calendar so you know what workout to do on each day.
- A tracker sheet (so you can track your progress)
- Quick start tips and eating plan videos
- Music Playlists
- All the workouts in print form in case you want to do them at the gym!
How to buy 80 Day Obsession & Costs
If you buy the 80 Day Obsession bundle, you also get the superfood smoothies (the chocolate tastes like a Wendy’s frosty, btw) or the performance pack for $160 USD.
You can also buy both Shakeology and the Performance Line and try them both out for a discounted price for $220 USD. This is a much better deal than trying them separately, and it will really set you up for success with the program.
Only want to start with one? Go for the performance line, then try the superfoods later. The performance line will give you a pre-workout (designed to give you LOTS of energy) and a post-workout protein shake that will enhance your workouts and help you build lean, toned muscle.
With all of these bundle options, you’ll also get you the containers to follow the meal plan, the sliders and the workout bands, so all you have to get after that are your weights.
What else do you get?
The best part of this deal is that you not only get access to 80 Day Obsession workouts, you get ALL the workouts Beachbody has created (including 21 Day Fix & Fix Extreme), so once you’re done this workout, it’s on to the next.
This will give you a plan for success you can work on for an entire YEAR. Keep in mind, I was paying $180 per month for just 4 weeks of workouts and a lousy meal plan. I share that because most people that hire fitness coaches have no idea that these options exist. But now you do!
Weekly Obsessions - Something Extra
As a fun additional add on, Beachbody recorded a series of fun, behind-the-scenes videos that capture the spirit of the workout, the people involved and of course, Autumn Calabrese, the instructor. I didn't watch all of them, but they were a great way to stay connected to what I was doing, even when I wasn't working out. If you want that extra engagement - these videos will help.
80 Day Obsession Results!
These are always the most fun to share. I find transformations to be SO inspiring. Keep in mind though - these guys did the work required, so if you want to see similar results, be prepared to sweat!
Want more home workout recommendations? Here's a few more favorites:
- Transform 20 - I love that this one is only 20 mins a day
- Insanity Max 30 - super hard, but great results
- 21 Day Fix Extreme - this is my #1 favorite workout
- Piyo - If you want something more chill and doesn't require equipment - this one is awesome.
Are you interested in Coaching for Beachbody?
You don't have to be a fitness pro to help people (and yourself) get results like these. To be a successful Beachbody Coach, you just have to have enthusiasm for the products and a willingness to try something new. I'd love to show you how it's done!