Want to try a sample Transform 20 workout? You will after you see the before and after results below. I love this workout because it proves what's possible with just 20 minutes a day of pure intensity. The workouts are no joke, but the results aren't either.
What is Transform 20?
It's 6-weeks of intense, 20 minute workouts, mostly cardio, fun choreography & the best part? It's all step aerobics!?
If you’re not familiar with Transform 20, it’s a home workout based on step aerobics that’s been amped up to reflect what we know to be effective for fat loss in today. It’s an intense, 20-minute workout that focuses on bodyweight moves that build strength and burn fat.
This is a full-body workout that will change your body composition through high-impact moves mixed with core and lower/upper strength work. There are some bonus workouts that include hand weights, but the program itself doesn’t require anything other than a small step and a willingness to work hard for a short burst of time.
Why you'll love it
Shaun. T is reason enough to love this workout. A master trainer with years of experience, his own personal fitness transformation (which he shares) and a variety of modifiers at every level of fitness, so you never get left behind. Oh, and did I mention the workouts are only 20 minutes?
Does Transform 20 build muscle?
It’s designed for cutting + sculpting - not bulking
I’ve been doing this for 5 weeks and I’m leaner than I was throughout Lift 4. Now that program was designed for a different set of results - more muscle growth and belly fat reduction. This program is a full body cardio/bodyweight strength program, designed to get you cut.
If you’re into bodybuilding competitions, you’d get this analogy - Lift 4 is your bulk phase, Transform 20 is your cut phase. If you’re not into bodybuilding, but you want to get cut, this is one of the best programs Beachbody has developed for that exact result, yet.
Transform 20 designed to help you get past your limitations - let me explain 🙂
So much of what holds us back from being fit is self-imposed limitations and struggle. The name “transform” isn’t just referring to cutting fat, it’s also focused on transforming mindset. Now, some of that effort is based on “rah rah, you can do it” messages, which work for some (not so much for me), but there’s another reason why this program is so powerful for transforming mindsets - the workouts are so short.
Honestly, the one thing I’ve noticed most about this program is that it’s helped me get into a routine of working out first thing. Typically I pudder around until 10 am before I get my workout in, but because this is only 20 minutes, I’m far more likely to say - okay, let’s just get this over with so I can shower and get on with my day. That’s what makes this workout super powerful.
How hard is Transform 20? Can beginners do it?
It depends on your ability to move quickly. I give it a 4 out of 5 on difficulty.
You are moving fast for that 20 minute period. There are no stops. There’s also a lot of jumping, some plyometric moves and lots of up and down movement, but the reason I didn’t say 5/5 is that there’s a modifier for everything. In fact, even though it’s a step program, you could do every single move without a step and still get an amazing (albeit easier) workout.
How Annoying is it?
I know you’re wondering this (with good reason). Shaun T is very low on the “annoyment" (<-totally made that word up) factor. He’s not obnoxious, he doesn’t tell bad jokes and you can tell he’s very audience focused. You can listen to him without wanting to punch him in the face, even when he’s pushing you hard.
Is it Good for Folks with Knee/Hip/Back Issues?
No. I mean, you could do it, but you’d have to modify the heck out of it. You’d get a much better workout from PiYo which is ideal for folks with issues like that.
How Long Is Transform 20?
It’s 6 days a week for 6 weeks. That’s 36 different workouts folks, just for one single program. That’s a deal. BTW, if you’re freaked about working out 6 days a week, just drop the “balance” workout. That’s what I do.
Do you need the step for Transform 20?
Technically no, but again, if you don’t want to buy a step (which is only $35 on Amazon), then just pick a different workout. I've got tons of ideas for home workouts (free and paid) that you can start to explore.
What Size Step do you need?
The dimensions for the "official" Transform 20 step are 11"L x 27"W x 4"H. for the actual step, and then the risers are 11"L x 4.5"W x 2"H (4 Total). So the max height you can get from the step is 8 inches.
The step I use is slightly smaller so it stores more easily, but the top has a rough, no slip texture that can be hard on the hands when you're doing some of the moves. It also comes with more risers, and of course, the taller your step, the better workout you'll get.
Do I need to do this program with a Coach?
Not at all. Some folks prefer to try programs on their own, which I totally get. If that's you, just pick it up on Beachbody on Demand and go!
How much is Transform 20?
Since Transform 20 is now on Beachbody on Demand, you can pick it up (with a superfood smoothie pack) for $160 USD at the time of this posting. That doesn’t include the step mind you, but it does include a month of superfoods and year-long access to all the programs on Beachbody’s platform, so if for some reason you don’t like Transform 20, just pick something else and go.
Transform 20 Sample Workout
Try a workout for yourself and see what you think!
What I love about Transform 20 after 5 weeks
- It’s short. I’m a HUGE believer in shorter, more intense workouts. I don’t love to exercise, but if I know it’s going to be over and done in 20 minutes, it’s easier to get out of the way. That’s a huge mental block for lots of people, so I think this is a powerful solution to the “I don’t have time” complaint.
- I also love that it offers weight training options as well (in the bonus workouts). I don’t love to do too much cardio, so having the option to just lift on a few days, really makes the workout more comprehensive in my eyes.
- I love Shaun T. He’s genuinely invested in the audience which I love. It’s not “all about him”.
- The results come quickly. It’s easy to start seeing momentum - provided you’re consistent with the nutrition element and the workouts.
- They’re fun. Okay, I don’t love exercise, but if I have to do something, a step class has a nostalgia that I can appreciate.
What I don’t love
- Shaun T goes overboard on the “you can do it” talk. It's a bit over the top.
- There are some cheesy voices overs. I can’t even explain them, and they don’t happen all the time, but it’s weird matrix-like voices that periodically show up.
- The moves are really fast. If you’re uncoordinated, it’s difficult to follow. Fortunately, no one is watching.
- I think they would be more effective if you could have your heart rate up just a little longer. I think 25 to 30 minutes is truly the sweet spot for intense workouts.
What's Included in Transform 20
The Program comes with:
- 2 prep workouts to get you started
- 36 unique workouts that you'll do over the course of 6 weeks
- 6 bonus workouts that focus on using weights to build legs, glutes, arms and abs!
- A meal plan (although I'll also share my low carb meal plans with you, too)
- A hybrid workout in case you want to mix it up a bit.
- You can buy the step through beachbody, but I recommend picking it up on Amazon for $35 🙂
- A workout calendar for your wall to track your workouts and keep you motivated
Transform 20 Results - now for the good stuff
As you can see, the expected results with this program is getting leaner, not necessarily more muscular. If that's your goal, there are other programs that will suit you a lot better. Keep in mind though - these Transform 20 results are not just created through daily workouts. Nutrition HAS to be a part of your plan. You don't have to be perfect, but you've got to make an effort to eat clean. Hopefully, the recipes on this blog will help you do that 🙂
Will you get results from Transform 20?
If you’re okay with working hard for a short period of time, yes, I think you would absolutely get results, but again - you have to commit to doing the work and that includes eating better.
If you hate it, there’s always a money-back guarantee for the first 30 days, so the risk is minimal. However, if you have issues with jumping around, try something like PiYo, the 3 Week Yoga Retreat or 21 Day Fix instead.
If you want to try it, and you purchase it through me, I’ll be here to coach you through it with additional low carb meal plans (or you're welcome to go it alone). But regardless of where you buy it - I do think it’s worth the investment if you’re willing to put in the effort.
What should you do after Transform 20?
Since this is a 6 week program that focuses predominantly on cardio, I would recommend heading to 21 Day Fix Extreme if you want to stick with shorter workouts, or 80 Day Obsession if you want something equally challenging, but at a slower, longer pace.
Good luck and let me know if you have Q’s! If you'd like to buy the program from me, please fill out the form below and I'll follow up within 24 hours. My coaching support is free with the purchase of the program.
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and author of The Fit Habit. Here she shares simple, low carb recipes, quick home workout ideas and practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.