If you're looking for the best workout home workout for losing weight, this post will help you figure that out - whether you're new to fitness or a seasoned pro who just needs an at-home option.
The Best Strategy for Weight Loss isn't a workout, it's nutrition
It's true. Truth is, nutrition is always going to “trump” your workout program. You can’t exercise your way out of a poor diet. That adage that says “abs are made in the kitchen” is 100% accurate. That said, there's still a lot that can be done through fitness to accelerate the fat loss process and reshape your body!
Here’s what I know to be true … strength training is the key to reshaping your body. Cardio is ideal for accelerating fat loss, but it has diminishing returns, so more is not more when it comes to running, cycling, aerobics or the elliptical. There are two reasons for this:
- The more cardio you do, the more hungry you will become and the more you will want to eat.
- The more cardio you do, the more your body will adjust to the volume of exercise and so, the more you'll have to do to see greater results.
So the best answer is to do as little cardio as you need to do to reach your goals and not a minute or mile more. Because here’s the thing, cardio breaks your body down - weight lifting builds your body up. This is the critical difference between these two work out modalities.
Related: Best Beachbody Workout for Beginners
When it comes to strength training workouts, you can lift weights or just focus on bodyweight exercises. The choice between those two options is largely dependent on your goals and your body type. For example, ectomorphs (the naturally skinny person) should lift heavy weights, mesomorphs (the naturally athletic person) could get away with just bodyweight workouts.
Body weight workouts for weight loss
Weight training workouts for weight loss + body sculpting
- 9 Week Control Freak
- 6 Weeks of the Work
- Lift 4
- 80 Day Obsession
- 21 Day Fix
- 21 Day Fix Extreme
- Body Beast
- Muscle Burns Fat (#MBF)
- 9 Week Control Freak (releasing winter 2020)
You can access all these workouts very inexpensively with this online membership. It works out to about .27 cents a day, and you get over 700 workouts in total.
A Few Nutrition Notes
- Be smart with your carbs - if you’re going to eat starchy carbs, eat them around the time of your workout.
- Have protein and fats in the AM. Leave your carbs for your workout period.
- Don’t have 5 to 6 small meals a day unless you like doing that. Otherwise, do 3 square meals a day like your grandparents did, and limit snacking as much as possible.
- Focus on veggies, proteins and healthy fats. After a workout, eat a carb and a protein (or Shakeology is perfect for a post workout meal) to get glucose into your muscle as soon as possible.
- Aim to eat 30 grams of protein per meal.
- You need healthy fats for muscle repair, healthy hair and nails.
- Sleep is critical to muscle repair! Get at least 7 to 8 hours a night.
Got questions? Feel free to leave them below. I’ll do my best to answer them!
Caren is a certified yoga teacher, fitness instructor and ADHD Coach. As the founder of The Fit Habit, she shares ADHD-friendly self-care, food & fitness inspiration, along with practical ways to foster mind + body wellness.